WHO WE ARE
Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann is the largest group involved in the preservation and promotion of Irish traditional music. We’re a non-profit cultural movement with hundreds of local branches around the world, and as you can read in our history we’ve been working for the cause of Irish music since the middle of the last century (1951 to be precise). Our efforts continue with increasing zeal as the movement launches itself into the 21st century.
WHAT WE DO
Because we’re so many different things to different people, it can be hard to keep track of the true scope of our activities! You might have been involved with a Comhaltas event and not even known it.
- If you’re a student of Irish music, you might know about the music, dance and language classes that we teach through our network ofbranches. If you’re interested in learning the music, you might want to find which one of our 1,000 weekly classes is closest to you.
- For musicians who like to play socially, you might be interested in finding a local Comhaltas music session. And if you’re not sure, how about just going along to listen?
- Audiences around the world have seen our touring groups bringing Irish music, dance and storytelling on annual tours.
- We also run the definitive system of competitions for Irish music, called the “Fleadh Cheoil” (literally “feast of music”). Musicians compete in a series of qualifying rounds, culminating in the annual All-Ireland Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann.
- We’ve collected an archive of thousands of hours of Irish music recordings, a large print library and a growing collection of videos. You can get a sample of some of this material in the Music section of our website.
- In an effort to promote the music of Ireland, we publishrecordings, books and tutorials of Irish traditional music. You might want to take a listen over in our shop.
WHERE WE ARE
We’re an international movement with our headquarters in Dublin, Ireland. You would be more than welcome to stop by for a visit to our home base, Cultúrlann na hÉireann, or to visit a local Comhaltas branch close to where you live.
Comhaltas also reaches into local communities around Ireland with our Regional Centres.
GET IN TOUCH!
Of course, we’d love to hear from you if you have any questions about what it is that we do. So please feel free to contact us and we’ll be happy to help. If you are a member of the press, you might find our Press Room to be a good start.